Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Look What the Book Fairy Left Me (4)

Well...I'm finally back. I took a short break from blogging. Reasons? Holidays (house guests), sad things, and, well, simply because I didn't have anything much to blog about. Where does the time go, by the way?
I don't have much to brag about for this week. I did get one new book. I've slowed down a bit on book buying. My shelves are overflowing and I am already out of room again since I got my new bookshelf in September. I have a whole crapload of borrowed books that I just got my hands on, so maybe next weeks book fairy post will show all of those books. That's going to be a long list :)
So, without further ado, this week's book is Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld.
I have yet to read any of Mr. Westerfeld's books, but have several in my TBR stack. Despite that, I really wanted this book. Steampunk stuff intrigues me. The book itself intrigues me. The cover is awesome. The book is heavy - and for some reason, I like that. It is full of cool illustrations. And on top of all of that, one of the really cool things is that the book has a girl character in disguise as a boy. I really can't wait to read it.



It is the cusp of World War I, and all the European powers are arming up. The Austro-Hungarians and Germans have their Clankers, steam-driven iron machines loaded with guns and ammunition. The British Darwinists employ fabricated animals as their weaponry. Their Leviathan is a whale airship, and the most masterful beast in the British fleet.
Aleksandar Ferdinand, prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battle-torn Stormwalker and a loyal crew of men.
Deryn Sharp is a commoner, a girl disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.
With the Great War brewing, Alek's and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way...taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure. One that will change both their lives forever.*


*book description taken from amazon.com

5 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I squeaked when I read/saw this!!! You know how much I love me some Scott Westerfeld YA books. And since this one is more into your realm of interest I hope it gets you wanting more of him. He's one of my very faves in YA. I know, I keep saying that and may be building things up too much, but I'm just excited for you to read it. I have this one too, but it is actually the ONLY one I haven't read yet. It's in my short stack for sure. Happy reading!!!

    And yes, isn't that cover amazing? I love it. It is a very sturdy book, which I also like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this book! I think it's getting moved up the stack. I'm almost done w/Ballad and wasn't sure what to read next. I have SO many to choose from. This may be the one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to tell me what you think, tho I think it's gonna rock!!!

    Also, as I'm reading The Host and with your post here they got me thinking that you really will like the Uglies series!! It has some definite rouge-ness and sci-fi with the humans... I'm excited for you to read it. :).

    Enjoy your books!

    Also, somewhere you said you have some Dianna gabauldan books, are they the Outlander series?! My bff is reading them and likes 'em. I have the first, loaned to me, but such a long list, geesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops... Also, how awesome is Shelfari?! Is it worth switching to? It seems so much cleaner looking in blogger. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Shelfari! It looks awesome and I just love it. It took me several hours to get everything on my shelves organized. I think it depends on how much detail you want to include. You can put in there when you finished reading a book, for instance. All of those little details makes the process take longer. I couldnt remember a lot of stuff so I just made some of it up or didnt put all those details on some of my books.
    I am sure I will enjoy the Uglies series. Got the first one and will read it one of these days! Lol. And yes, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is in my TBR stack. My mom loved them and just loaned them to me. I need to update my book fairy posts w/all of those loaned books. I think there is a new one that came out a few months ago. They are super long books, though, so that is the only thing holding me back. Well...that and my enormous list of YA books beckoning me. ;)

    ReplyDelete