Monday, October 5, 2009

Look What the Book Fairy Left Me (2)



Well, I'm pleased to say that I did get some new books this week. Once again compliments to my birthday B&N gift certificate.

The Hollow by Jessica Verday
When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.
Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her—one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.

I've heard good things about this one. It's the first in a series, and the author's debut novel. Plus, she likes LJ Smith. So, of course, I can't wait to read it.




Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston
When Kelley moves to New York to pursue her dreams of theatrical success, she expects that her only encounters with mythical beings will be confined to the stage, in the Avalon Grande Theatre's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. All of that changes when she meets Sonny Flannery, who introduces Kelley to a world she never knew existed. A member of Auberon's Janus Guard, he patrols the portal (in Central Park) between the human and faerie worlds on the few dangerous nights when it opens and members of the Unseelie Court can pass into the mortal realm. He is strangely drawn to Kelley, and as he gets to know her, he begins to suspect that there is more to her history than either of them know. Through encounters with sirens, hellhounds, and kelpies, Kelley and Sonny are drawn irrevocably into a battle among the Fey. Despite the budding attraction between them, forces they can hardly understand seek to keep them apart. Set against the backdrop of present-day New York City, this enchanting first novel weaves together the worlds of theater and magic in a way that is sure to please fans of both.

Thought I'd get a few fairy books this time around. Take a little break from the werewolves and vampires. I hope I'm not dissapointed.

My Soul To Take (Soul Screamers series) by Rachel Vincent
She doesn't see dead people, but…
She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…

I'm excited to read this one. I've never read any of Rachel's books, but I've been told that I should. I've also got to admit that I like the title and the cover caught my eye. I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but sometimes I can't help myself. :)

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater (ordered online at b&n.com)
Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan, a gifted harpist who regularly plays for weddings and other events, has the kind of stage fright that makes her physically ill before a performance, which is an inauspicious way to start a romance; but while vomiting before a competition she meets a gorgeous boy who comes into the restroom to hold her hair. He is Luke Dillon, a flautist who proceeds to accompany her in a truly stellar performance. As four-leaf clovers start appearing everywhere, Deirdre develops telekinetic powers and encounters strange, unworldly people who seem to bear her ill will. Her best friend, James, also a talented musician; her beloved grandmother; and her mother all are in danger, as Deirdre is targeted by the queen of Faerie. Deirdre eventually discovers that she is a cloverhand, a person who can see the denizens of faerie, and Luke, not the only immortal who has her in his sights, is a gallowglass, an assassin assigned by the queen of Faerie to kill Deirdre but who falls in love with her instead.

Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie by Maggie Stiefvater
James Morgan has an almost unearthly gift for music. And it has attracted Nuala, a soul-snatching faerie muse who fosters and then feeds on the creative energies of exceptional humans until they die. James has plenty of reasons to fear the faeries, but as he and Nuala collaborate on an achingly beautiful musical composition, James finds his feelings towards Nuala deepening. But the rest of the fairies are not as harmless. As Halloween—the day of the dead—draws near, James will have to battle the Faerie Queen and the horned king of the dead to save Nuala's life and his soul.

I'm extremely excited to read these two. I just recently read Shiver by Maggie, as well, and absolutely loved it. I just had to read the rest of her books. Plus, I am in the mood to try out a few fairy books, so this just happens to work out! As a nifty bonus, Maggie is very artistic and musical herself. Check out her website for the book trailer's that she's created with stop motion (my absolute favorite type of movie). maggiestiefvater.com

Legacy by Cayla Kluver
In an award-winning YA fantasy debut (the first of a planned trilogy), novelist Cayla Kluver brings a magical touch to an unrelentingly suspenseful coming-of-age tale. Duty-bound to wed her father’s choice in successor to the throne, Princess Alera of Hytanica believes that she is being forced into the worst of all possible fates—a marriage to the arrogant and hot-tempered suitor, Steldor. When a mysterious boy from enemy Cokyri appears bearing secrets and an entirely different view of what's appropriate behavior for a young lady, Alera learns that her private desires threaten to destroy the kingdom. When Narian’s shocking past comes to light, Alera finds herself in a shadowy world of palace intrigue and ancient blood feuds, facing an uncertain future with dwindling options—and must learn to decide between right and wrong all alone. Marked by witty, rapid-fire dialogue and dramatic complexity that belie the writer’s age, Legacy brings a fresh, new sensibility to age-old questions of duty and inheritance and to a young heroine’s quest to find her true voice.

I couldn't find this one anywhere but online. I found out about this one by accident. To be honest, I'm not even sure how it came up! But I'm glad that it did. This book was written by teenage debut writer. I'm amazed and intrigued. The first in a planned trilogy. It sounds like an old-fashioned fairy tale. Can't wait to read it.

Also purchased online (adult):
Covet (a Fallen Angels book) by JR Ward
Redemption isn't a word Jim Heron knows much about-his specialty is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charge with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option. Vin DiPietro long ago sold his soul to his business, and he's good with that-until fate intervenes in the form of a tough- talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior. But then he meets a woman who will make him question his destiny, his sanity, and his heart-and he has to work with a fallen angel to win her over and redeem his own soul.

JR Ward's good for a nice, quick, somewhat sleezy read. I also enjoyed The Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Her novels are a bit cheesy at times and a little over the top, but I still like 'em. :)

The real problem begins when I decide in which order I'm going to read all these great books! Not enough hours in the day. I've got a few more series books coming out soon, so I will be adding those into my already heafty TBR pile.

How 'bout you guys...did you get anything good?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm still so glad you decided to do this too! Isn't it fun? I posted mine earlier in the week but today I'm going by everyone's blogs (okay, not all, but some of the ones that I've chatted with along the way) to see what others got. I've been updating my list of course! My soul to take and the hollow are on my list. I haven't read any of Maggie Stiefvater's yet, but she's on my list too. I have one of Rachel Vincent's that is the first in the series of shifters so I'm super excited to read that one. Anyway, looks like some awesome books! Faeries sound like a good change too, fun! I got vamps, vamps and more vamps of books so yeay!!! As you know, I'm getting into Vampire Diaries this week. I've also got some writing news and projects going on. I'll post about some of it soon. The rest is still stewing (is that right?)...

    Take care & happy reading!!! Let me know how those books are too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously had to argue w/myself for about 15 min before I could decide what to read next. I finished Intertwined last night. (totally bummed that the next one doesnt come out until Sept 2010!)
    I've got 2 new book ideas that I've jotted in my notebook this week. Still working on transferring written notes to the computer. This will take me forever since I write on any scrap of paper I can find when I dont have my notebook handy. It's really unbelievable how many of these scraps I've got!! Yikes! Then I can get back into the hardcore writing/editing. I am ready to get the ball rolling. It is taking me entirely too long. Mostly my laziness is to blame, though. Yay for all of your good news this week!!
    I decided on an adult paranormal romance btw. Take a little tiny break from the YA. It's nice to have some more adult sexiness once in a while, ya know? Haha.
    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete